Flame and Thunder report

After a long season of rain and niggling problems things finally came good for us at the Flame & Thunder show – handy as it was the last chance to get in some track time before the end of the season.

We received the block back on Thursday morning after having the bottom end rebuilt and Darren, Bob (my Dad), Luke and I set about rebuilding it and getting it back between the chassis rails. By Friday we were ready to fire the motor up – all was well and we were looking forward to the weekend ahead.

Saturday morning arrived and a starter motor problem held us back from the first session and a slight oil leak saw us shut off after the burnout in the second session but the burnout sounded promising.

In the 6:30 night session Darren Prentice asked John Everitt and I just to do burnouts and a launch as the track was cold and getting damp, but what a launch, it found some traction and pulled the front wheels right up,

Shifting into second they stayed up and tripped the 60ft beams with the rear wheels still clocking a 1.24 – after that it I shut it off but we were extremely happy with the launch and running at night was an amazing experience with some throttle barks and dry hops with John. When the crew game to get me at the top end there were grins all round and we decided to run in the RWYB on Sunday to see what would happen on a full pass.

Sunday dawned and the pits filled up quickly, it was a really busy day at the track. We made it to the startline at around lunchtime and once again paired up against John. At the hit it spun the tyres then turned right and lifted the wheels when I pulled second. I stayed in it until the centre line was getting too close for comfort, lifted and straightened up then nailed it again, weaving all over the lane. Great fun but no good for my ET, only managing a 10.1 but we were all pleased with the cars performance.

This leads us on to the spy pic two weeks ago, the pictured blown Chevy is sat in Doug Ripley’s workshop waiting to go between the rails of Motor Psycho next year, It is a 481-X Rodeck block with Bac-Man billet heads and an 8/71 blower – I’ll have more news in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately this means the current injected Big Block has to go, so if anyone wants a freshly rebuilt 489ci injected alky motor that has serious 8 second potential contact us via the ad in the for sale section.

After all that we have a few people to say thank you to: the crew for all their hard work all season on the car, allowing me to go out there and have a blast; John Everitt for rescuing us with a spare starter motor and being a great match race partner; Sam Freeman for the loan of a generator after ours died and Darren Prentice for keeping us informed, and generally being one of the most helpful people you could know.

Finally if anyone has any pictures or video from the weekend please let us know – we are especially looking for a wheels up night shot from Saturday evening. Have a good off season everyone and see you at the track next year.

Comments are closed.